About Us


The Iron Anvil has been around for more than 45 years serving the Utah area. Vern continues the tradition of creating high quality and custom ornamental iron work.

1966 – 1971

Govert Coleman, a Dutchman, rented a building from Central Office Supply, at 3026 S. State St. in Salt Lake City, Utah. He started the business by processing mostly small ornamental iron light fixtures. He began in 1966 and operated the business four or five years.


Ron Dean worked for Central Office Supply and had an interest in Coleman’s business. He purchased The Iron Anvil in 1971. Later, in 1974, he sold the business to Mike and Marty Lingwall.


Mike and Marty Lingwall moved the business to 1604 S. Jefferson Street in Salt Lake City, UT. They expanded into iron rails, fences, gates, spiral stairs, and furniture. The leased facility provided 4,000 square feet of operating space.


Jay D. Wilson formed a corporation called Double U Inc. With his two sons, Lane D. Wilson and Vernarr Jay Wilson, Jay bought The Iron Anvil from the Lingwalls’ in 1977. Jay and Lane operated the business and refined operation. Later Lane entered into the Air Force. Vernarr came into the business.


Tom Judd owned a foundry across the street. He and his wife were called to an LDS mission. He suggested to Vern that he should buy the foundry building. After Tom Judd’s mission, he came to visit Vern across the street. Tom Judd asked Vern if he was interested in the foundry. Vern answered, “Yes.” The two shook hands and the deal was complete. The Iron Anvil moved from the leased 4,000 square foot building to Tom Judd’s foundry building where it has 8,000 square feet of space that sits on three-quarters (3/4ths) of an acre.

2000 – 2010

Jay suffered a heart attack in 2000 and semi-retired. Even though Jay suffered a heart attack, he came to work every day. Vernarr purchased Jay’s interest in the business.


Vern drove home Friday evening with Jay. Jay, who normally is a very good and secure driver, seemed to have problems that particular day. On Saturday, Jay worked in his yard. On Sunday, Jay drove to church with his wife, Jamar. He got to the parking lot, but couldn’t make it out of the car. Jamar quickly got help. A nurse and a heart doctor were at church. They immediately tried to help, but could not stabilize Jay. Jay Wilson died of a heart attack Sunday, Jan 17th 2010.

2010 – Present

We survived the Great Recession of 2009.